Neighborhood Diabetes Education Program
About the Program
Established in 2015, the Anthem Foundation and Empire BlueCross BlueShield Foundation have partnered with National Medical Fellowships (NMF) to offer the Neighborhood Diabetes Education Program (NDEP). This mentored service-learning program provides 200 hours of proactive diabetes education curriculum in a variety of community sites and healthcare-related settings in New York City and now in Los Angeles. The NDEP provides a $5,000 scholarship to 16 qualified individuals who are either medical or graduate-level nursing students (10 in New York City; 6 in Los Angeles). The focus of this program is to reduce adult diabetes impacting underserved communities with a structured diabetes education curriculum customized for the recruited target group.
NDEP Scholar candidates must meet the following eligibility:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) approval letter
- Currently enrolled in an accredited medical or graduate-level nursing program located in California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York or Pennsylvania
- Please Note: Each diabetes education curriculum must be implemented in the New York City area (including boroughs) or in Los Angeles.
- Identification with one of the following minority groups: African American, Latino, Native American, or Asian Americans (Vietnamese and Cambodian only)
- Demonstrated leadership early in career
- Commitment to serving medically underserved communities
Scholars must complete their program requirements between November 2017 and March 2018. Program requirements include:
- Orientation Participation
- 200 service-learning hours at New York City or Los Angeles community site of choice
- Implementation of a site-specific structured diabetes education curriculum
- Written Report on Community Health
- Oral Presentation w/ PowerPoint
- Research Poster Creation
- Program Colloquium Participation (Scholar, Mentor & Participant)
- Evaluation – Program surveys (Scholar & Mentor)
About the Anthem and Empire BlueCross BlueShield Foundation
At Anthem and Empire BlueCross BlueShield, we understand our health connects us to each other. What we all do impacts those around us. Anthem and Empire are dedicated to delivering better care to our members, providing greater value to our customers and helping improve the health of our communities.